A downloadable game for Windows
First person golf game with no HUDs, no aiming aids, no course map, no teleport between shots, and nothing to help you find the ball.
This game was written in one week for Fuck This Jam 2012.
"Golf games seem to be about watching power meters and adjusting targeting sights. I prefer being outdoors, exploring procedural landscapes, and playing with physics simulations. So here's my take on the genre." -SlowRiot
- Procedurally generated terrain with procedural woodland.
- Realistic passage of time, with day-night and summer-winter cycle.
- Trees grow realistically, in real-time. Of course, that's very slow - you'd have to leave the computer running for a very long time to see it.
- Time is sped up 120x, so 1 second = 2 minutes in-game. A day lasts about 12 minutes, but you'd have to leave the game running for about 3 days to see the winter snow. The ball is of course very hard to find in the snow.
- WASD to walk,
- Shift to run,
- Space to jump (why would you need to jump on a golf course? Perhaps to leap over a short shrub...)
- Hold left mouse button to move arms,
- Hold right mouse button to move arms and head,
- Hold both mouse buttons at the same time to move just your head.
Written in C++ using OpenGL. Entire 3D engine written completely from scratch just during this 7-day jam, in 4889 lines of code.
Music by Skin Walker.
What people are saying about GolfXTRM
- "Riot's slow decline in certainty about whether the game is a golf game or not is pretty amusing." -Fuck This Jam official twitter
- "I can only seem to accidentally hit the ball the wrong way. Any tips?" -Gromange
- "Loving the colour pallet, looks fucking mint" -Laura
- "@Riot - Love the simulation. LOVE THE SIMULATION. Also golf clubs. Love them too." -Detocroix
- "I liked the bit where I wanted to check the control config, so I hit esc and it exited to desktop. How very dare I?" -Jont
- "On the second hit when it hit it so hard that I flung my mouse into the wall it crashed shortly after :P" -Causeless
- "I love it! Exactly what golf games need to embody" -r0r0r0
- "I was wearing headphones and the view swam like I was going to puke and the music got louder and more horrible and I got more desperate to try and hit the ball before I went deaf and then just swung over and over at the ball to try and make contact and then it crashed. 9/10." -Egg
- "@Riot: take my money!" -ZapaMan
- "GolfXTRM is what you get when you dunk a suit-coated golfer in a jar of ketamine and shove his head in a NES cartridge slot." - http://www.hiddenexit.com/blog/2012/11/22/clubbing-under-the-influence-golfxtrm/
|Updated||12 days ago|
|Tags||Abstract, Atmospheric, Experimental, Exploration, glitch, Lo-fi, mind-bending, Minimalist, Procedural Generation, Surreal|
|Average session||About a half-hour|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Touchscreen, Oculus Rift|
|Accessibility||Color-blind friendly, High-contrast, One button, Textless|
Click download now to get access to the following files: